Buttercream is so easy to make, although I do confess to buying it bought when I am particularly pressed for time but it's worth the small amount of time taken to make it yourself. This amount will generously fill the inside and cover the top of two sponge cakes (4 layers) following my basic vanilla sponge recipe.
Buttercream (Vanilla and Chocolate Versions)
250g Unsalted Butter
500g Icing Sugar
Milk (No more than 100ml)
Note: For Chocolate Buttercream add 75g Cocoa Powder and 4 Tablespoons of Nutella as well as the above!
- Leave the butter to come to room temperature or melt a little in a mixing bowl in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Whisk using an electric mixer if you have one, or with a spatula.
- Gradually add the icing sugar, if you find it doesn't mix well add a couple of tablespoons of milk. (Add Cocoa and Nutella too if making Chocolate Buttercream).
- Keep mixing until it is combined and a smooth consistency.
- Add a vanilla flavouring to your own taste and add more milk if you want a runnier consistency.
- Ice your cake and enjoy!
Tip: You can freeze this butter icing, I tend to use half and freeze the rest in an airtight container. It will keep for 2-3 months in the freezer. Defrost at room temperature the day before you want it. Makes it easier when you need to make a cake quickly!